Wednesday, November 29, 2006

La Bamba!!

I was going through the radio frequency this morning and this song stopped me.. it was on Red104.9

La Bamba

Para bailar la bamba
Para bailar la bamba se necesita una poca de gracia
Una poca de gracia y otra cosita
Y arriba y arriba
Y arriba y arriba y arriba ire

Yo no soy marinero
Yo no soy marinero, soy capitan
Soy capitan, soy capitan

Bamba, bamba, bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
Bamba

Para bailar la bamba
Para bailar la bamba se necesita una poca de gracia
Una poca de gracia pa mi pa ti
Ay y arriba y arriba
Y arriba y arriba y arriba ire

Yo no soy marinero
Yo no soy marinero, por ti sere
Por ti sere, por ti sere

Bamba, bamba, bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
Bamba

Artist: Los Lobos
Originally Recorded by Ritchie Valens
Lyrics: from a Traditional Mexican Folk Song.
Released on the "B" side of the hit single 'Donna'. 1958


Automatically, I was singing along with it! After all this time, I couldn't believe that I still remembered the Spanish lyrics! hahaha..
Technically, La Bamba was actually the first song I performed 'live'. I was just in Darjah 3 when I first saw the movie and it was one of those really inspiring ones! It chanced my view towards life as that was when I got the 'idea' that someday, someone might make a movie out of my life.. so from then on I'd always tell people what I went through for the day so that someone would actually know what really happen to me if they were to be interviewed.. :) such an innocent child back then kan?.. nowdays, I've learned that some things are best kept to myself.. adults, go figure :P

Anyway, since I really loved that movie, me and 2 of my friends (Mohd. Fadzli and Ahmad Nizam - mana diorang sekarang?) decided to sing at the school's Hari Penyampaian Hadiah.. We did 2 songs from that movie.. Fadzli took 'La Bamba', and I sang 'Donna'.. as you can see, even back then I've always been the jiwang one.. hahaha.. so now.. almost 20 years later (2007 is the 20th anniversary of the movie.. God, has it really been THAT long?!) I'm driving in my car to work and as I heard the song, I could still remember not only the words, but how the video clip was like.. How Lou Diamond Phillips was at a carnival and towards the end of the song took on the stange and sang with Los Lobos.. The way he slinged on the guitar, he was soooo cool!! he was the man!! hehe

Aaahh.. Nostalgic days such as this sure makes you feel good.. maybe there'll be a time when I'll do a 'real' performance of La Bamba & Donna and live my dream.. heck, I'm already in a band :)

Today's philosophy --> Life is a movie, and you're the lead star!

5 comments:

*cosmic freak* said...

Life is a movie: Mr. and Mrs. Smith

You're the lead star: I'm Angelina Jolie.

where's my brad pitt? heh!

Inaesb said...

I actually remembered the movie. It got me started on that song too. But I can't sing it tho..haha. Only La la bamba..la la bamba.

I used to play it in the school band as well.

sensei said...

cosmic freak:
Do you really want 'the leader of the 12 Monkeys army' to be your partner? :)

ianesb:
what instrument do you play? Perhaps we could jam someday.. :)

juliana said...

cool philoshophy.. i feel so much better :)
as an added bonus, we get to be the author jugak kan?

sensei said...

Yup.. author, scriptwriter, cameraman, semua boleh.. but God is the 'executive producer' :)